Even though my dad never graduated high school (he quit to join the Marines), he was a pretty damn smart man – at least for a Marine. I’ve always known this and never really argued or disagreed with him on too much of anything – even though he did have his own opinions on a lot of different things.
Speaking of opinions, I read and hear so many different ones now a days with everyone wanting to get their “point” across whether it be on television, radio, or social media. Everyone has an opinion, and everyone believes that their opinion is the only one that counts, and the one that everyone else needs to hear and agree with. So, what do “I” think??… I think I’ll “think back” to the ONE OPINION in life that my dad always threw at me every time I got a bit on the “Shitbird” side of life..
- Every morning when you open your eyes you need to realize that God has given you a new “Gift”. Every day is a new gift from God ,… and,…. what you do with the gift that He has given you is up to YOU AND YOU ONLY….
- You can spend it complaining, or you can spend it unbothered.
- You can spend it laying around, or you can spend it doing something constructive.
- You can spend it putting down others, or you can spend it building other up.
- You can spend it being pissed off, or you can spend it being content and thankful for what you have.
- You can spend it drunk, or you can spend it sober.
- You can spend it standing on a soapbox preaching, or you can spend it on your knees praying.
- You can spend it tryin’ to change others, or you can spend it trying to change yourself.
Now I’m not gonna say that my dad actually followed each and every one of these things to the “T”, but I will say that he did TRY very hard to be a good, productive, hard working, independent, God fearing human being during his 86 years here on planet earth. I can only hope and pray that I’m at least “one-tenth” the man he was when I take my “Final Dive” on that old diesel driven smokeboat that most all of us old diesel submarine sailors fully accept as the inevitable.
Never once have I ever heard anyone say that either the news, a radio talk show, a television program, or a social media website has changed their opinion or outlook on either politics, religion, sexual orientation, or anything else for that matter… So, why does everyone think or believe that what they have to say actually matters to anyone else? Often times it does nothing more than piss a bunch of people off, or in my case, eat up what limited internet connectivity I do have out here in the country with things that really don’t – in my world – matter.
Bottom line….. I don’t really give a rats ass what country you’re from, what religious belief’s you have, what color hair or skin you have, where you came from, what flag you wanna fly, what your sexual preference is, or what political ideas you may support….. Pandemics, Politics, Sex, Race, and Religion mean absolutely nothing compared to waking up another day and realizing that God has given me a Great Gift – the Gift of another Day here on planet earth. And no matter where you may live on this planet,… that gift is the same one given to all,….. and is available to each and everyone of us to use as we wish….